Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Zoning’ Category

AGENDA

  1. Introductions and Potluck Social
  2. Financial Report
  3. Friend of the South End: Jill Stannard
  4. Elections
  5. Gung Haggis Fat Choy
  6. Caroling
  7. Art Bins
  8. RCMP Neighborhood Update

1. Introductions:
Guest: Leonard Krog, MP

2. Financial ReportThe Treasurer reported that a shortfall of $1300.00 in donations caused a small deficit to the Picnic Account which has a current balance of $2,808.50.
The General Account balance is $1,991.67.

3. Friend of the South End: Jill StannardJill was recognized for her many years of supporting the South End Community, in particular, her role as historian and guide of the annual Heritage Walk; a popular feature of the Miners’ Day Picnic. She was honoured with the presentation of a ‘Friend of the South End’ Award and a floral tribute.

4. Elections: MP Leonard Krog attended to invigilate our annual Election process.
Results of the Election were:

  • Chairman – Douglas Hardie
  • Vice­Chair – Christine LoScerbo
  • Treasurer – Sandra Larocque
  • Membership – Sandy McLellan
  • Recording Secretary – Starr Faux
  • Member At Large – Blake McGuffie
  • Member At Large – Kathryn Hazel
  • Member At Large – Lisa Martin
  • Member At Large – Petra Sochor

5. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser: Tickets are now available for our Second Annual celebration of Chinese New Year/Robbie Burns Day to be held on January 24 at the old Caprice Theatre on Nicol Street. This year’s menu will include chili and stew for general consumption as well as the traditional ceremonial Haggis/Fish. The Piper has not yet been confirmed. There will be a Dance presentation by Sydney’s Scottish Country Dancers. We will need approximately 20 tables – if you have tables you can provide, or are able to volunteer to make chili or stew, please contact Sandra Larocque as soon as possible at javawook@shaw.ca

6. Caroling: A reminder that this years’ Caroling Event will be held in the plaza area in front of Iron Oxide Art Supplies at 7pm on Wednesday, December 17 mulled wine for participants and Michelle has volunteered to play the flute.

7. Art BinsVolunteers are needed for our Art Bin Project. Contact Sandra or Chris LoScerbo to offer your time and talents.

8. RCMP Neighbourhood Update: Constable D. LaBerge

Needle boxes: Constable LaBerge reports that deliberations are in progress regarding placement of Sharps boxes. He will keep us updated.

Patricia Pub: The Patricia is now closed.

Nuisance Properties: He reports that the 2 nuisance properties at the North end of Haliburton have been quieted and that they are still working on issues with the View Street property. The Victoria Road property has now been demolished. He clarified for us that 75% of a property must be burned out or beyond remediation before the City can issue a demolition order.

Shell­7/11­McDonalds: The RCMP met with these businesses and spoke with them about ways to deal with Street Activity at their properties. On Saturday they will have a walk­through of Wisteria Lane at 10 a.m. To discuss ways of mitigating problems with drug dealing/use in the area.

Adjourned.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Introductions
  2. Candidate Presentations
  3. RCMP/John Howard Society
  4. Tree Planting
  5. School Trustees All Candidates Meetings
  6. RCMP Report
  7. Financial Report
  8. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser
  9. SECA Neighbourhood House
  10. Constitution update
    Other Business:
  11. Halloween Block Party
  12. Caroling
  13. Jill Standard

1. Introductions: Attendees named themselves. Guests in attendance were:

  • Fred Patje – Council Candidate
  • Ian Thorpe – Council Candidate
  • Kim Fagerlund – Restorative Justice, John Howard Society
  • Alan Kemp – City of Nanaimo

2. Candidate Presentations: Fred Patje and Ian Thorpe attended to inform us regarding their candidacy for Nanaimo City Council. Mr. Patje expressed his thanks for SECA’s support over the last 6 years, particularly as regards the implementation of Neighbourhood Plans, which he continues to strongly support. He pointed out the successful work of SECA in facilitating neighbourhood improvements and its’ standing as an example in the Community at large. He also expressly thanked our Chair, Douglas Hardie and Vice­Chair Chris LoScerbo for their work on the Waterfront Committee initiative. He then introduced Ian Thorpe, fellow Candidate, and backgrounded us on his community work and teaching history at J. Barsby Secondary. He emphasized his work ethic and collegial, co­operative approach when serving on committees.

Mr. Thorpe then spoke, indicating his appreciation of South End residents and initiatives. He elaborated on his 10 years at Barsby and his extra­curricular work, his Committee work with Mr. Patje, and his desire to serve the residents of Nanaimo.

3. RCMP/John Howard Society: Constable D. LaBerg informed us on the goals of the Restorative Justice Program being implemented by the John Howard Society. He introduced Kim Fagerlund, Program Co­ordinator and her client. Her client had been apprehended selling marijuana and, instead of cycling through the court system, he was given the opportunity to make reparation directly. To do this, he is attending this meeting and has donated $300 to SECA. He also spoke to us, assuring us that, while he sells marijuana to adults in an adult setting, he does not sell to teenagers or children; that he is not violent, and does not steal or pose any other threat to residents. Constable LaBerg confirmed this. The individual was thanked for attending/donating and explaining his personal situation to us. Chair, D. Hardie also thanked Constable LaBerg and the John Howard Society for their work on this initiative.

4. Tree Planting: Alan Kemp, City Engineering Department, attended to let us know that BC Hydro has again supplied funds for South End beautification. They have provided $6,000 to purchase, plant and sustain 40 new trees to be planted along Haliburton Street. Mr. Kemp requested volunteers to begin planting them, with the assistance of City Works. City Works staff will take responsibility for watering and ongoing care of the trees. Several present volunteered to help plant; others volunteered to attend to provide refreshment. They will meet on Saturday, November 8 at 9 a.m. at “R U Computing” to begin work on the project. The event will be photographed for local media. Mr. Kemp was thanked for his past and present work to make this neighbourhood improvement possible.

5. School Trustees All Candidates Meetings: Ed Chan informed the group of the all­ candidates meetings he has worked to implement.

The meetings will be held at J. Barsby on Thursday and Friday, November 13 and 14 from 6:30­ 9:00. At these sessions, candidates for School Trustee will present their qualifications and vision for administrating the $135 million annual budget for School District 68. He was thanked for his work on this initiative. Details will be posted on our Blog to inform the Neighbourhood of this opportunity to vet candidates.

6. RCMP Report: Constable LaBerg informed us that RCMP efforts over the last couple of months have been focused on dealing with car thefts, marina break­-ins, robberies and home invasions. As a result of this focus, many perpetrators have been apprehended.

Drug issues have recently been less of a focus, however, designated nuisance properties on Haliburton and View Streets have been targeted and landlords have co­operated in removing drug ­dealing renters. Improvement has been noted.

Regarding drug issues, Constable LaBerg informed us that, throughout the City, heroin and crystal­ meth use are of increasing concern. As a consequence, he and John Horn of City have been speaking with Neighbourhood Associations about the need to provide more Sharps Disposal Boxes. Additional disposal boxes to be located near Nob Hill, Deverill Park and Pauline Harer were indicated as needed to protect children and residents from the dangers presented by discarded

Discussion:
Some expressed concern that the presence of more Sharps Boxes would reflect negatively on the areas where they were placed and would encourage more drug use there. Others pointed out the dangers of discarded needles and spoke to the fact that diabetics and others requiring sharps use for medical reasons also dispose of used needles in the boxes. The upcoming changes in prostitution laws were also brought up and the question raised as to how these changes might affect drug and other social issues.

Constable LaBerg cited his many years of experience around the needle issue and stated that the boxes, present throughout the City, do not intrude visually as many boxes are not even noticed by those who do not actually use them. In his experience, they do not encourage drug use and do increase safety for all. He spoke regarding the recent meeting at the Conference Centre in which representatives from VIHA, NARSF, the RCMP, local business owners, residents and Street people gathered to discuss the situations and safety issues faced by all stake-­holders. The exchange of information, particularly as regards the coming de­-criminalization of prostitution and the on-going concerns around street-drugs such as Meth and Heroin was beneficial and provided a constructive dialog around these issues.

Chair, D. Hardie, spoke in support of Constable LaBerg’s experience and expertise in this area and cited his initiatives with local business in the area of the 7-­11 and McDonald’s; educating these businesses as to how to deal with problem people. He thanked the Constable for his on­going work, assisting local neighbourhoods in dealing with these issues.

7. Finance: S. Laroque, Treasurer, reports:

Picnic Account – Present balance is $2,208.48. With the addition of the $300 donation through the Restorative Justice program, the balance will be $3,108.48.

General Account – Present balance is $2,332.41 

8. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser: The 2nd Annual fundraiser will be held at the old Caprice Theatre, Nicol Street, on Saturday January 24. Tickets to the event will be available at our next meeting for Members to sell. The cost of $15 will cover admission, entertainment and dinner. A cash bar will be provided with proceeds to SECA.

Volunteers are needed for set­up, clean­up and food. Some volunteers have already stepped forward for Music – Mike’s DJ, MC – C. LoScerbo, Toasts to the Bard – K. Hazel, the Lassies – L. Gambone and the Laddies – P. Portsmouth. Petra will organize dessert volunteers, Lisa Martin will organize clean­up. We await confirmation from the Piper. Triple T catering has quoted a cost of $245 to cover dishes, cutlery, tables, etc. Provided we pick up and return them ourselves. Additional tables are also needed. Volunteers should contact S. Larocque.

Paula Beltgens informed that she will record a segment at the Event for our Happy Video. The video will be edited for release in February around Valentine’s Day.

Sandra also reminded the group to continue to save and turn in their Country Grocer receipts, as the credits already supplied through this program were sufficient to provide the refreshments served at last weeks’ successful Halloween Event.

9. Neighbourhood House: S. McLellan­French backgrounded us on the idea of acquiring a permanent facility to provide space for neighbourhood events, meetings and public use. He identified areas needing investigation and suggested a Committee of volunteers be formed to:

  • identify possible locations; eg. The Vast building, Loaves and Fishes building, 5 Acres, etc.
  • Seek partners and explore rental possibilites to provide income for on­going costs
  • Explore funding opportunities and draft briefs for funding
  • Determine what functions volunteers and/or paid staff could provide in running the facility.

Motion made by S. Larocque: “to form a working Committee to explore the funding and location of a permanent facility for use by South End residents and SECA”.

Seconded: L. Gambone. Carried.

Sandra Laroque will take the names of any who wish to volunteer to participate as members of the working groups within the Committee. She noted that Paula Beltgens and Sydney Robertson have experience and connections in the fundraising and real estate components of this initiative and stand ready to provide contacts and assistance in these areas. The Committee would report back to the group as the process evolved.

10. Constitution: Chair, D.Hardie, updated us on progress around needed Constitution Revisions. It had been hoped that suggested revisions to clarify our Mandate, Mission Statement, Procedures, etc. would be presented at tonight’s meeting. He indicated that there is no time constraint causing urgency for this process and that our goal is to ‘do it right’ to ensure that revisions effectively provide clarity in the purview and conduct of the Association. Support was expressed for taking the needed time to execute draft revisions.

11. AGM: The December General Meeting is the Annual General Meeting at which the Officers and Executive Members of the Association are elected. The meeting starts at 6:00 pm with a pot­luck and social time. The nomination and election process will be fielded by Leonard Krog, our area MP.

12. Halloween Block Party: This event was a great success. About 100 people participatedthroughout the evening. Activites included a Fire Dancer, Street Hockey and the recording of a Happy Video segment.

Donations for SECA were accepted at the refreshment area. In view of it’s success, the possibility of continuing/expanding this event was brought forward.

13. Caroling: Willow Friday, proprietor of Iron Oxide Art Supplies on Nicol Street, has agreed to provide her outdoor patio area for our Carolers this year. Volunteer Carolers will meet at 7pm on Wednesday, December 17 at Iron Oxide to sing and provide encouragement to passers­by to sing along. Our sign: ‘Sing Here on Wednesday’ will be displayed in the week previous.

14. Jill Stannard: Jill has been invited to attend the AGM as our Guest of Honour. She will be honoured at the meeting with a “Friend of the Neighbourhood” citation in recognition of her many years of voluteerism in support of SECA. Notably her role as historian and guide of the ‘History Walking Tour’ given at the Miner’s Heritage Picnic. In addition to the citation, she will be presented with a SECA apron.

Adjourned

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Financial Report
  2. Recycling Depot/Guests: Sheila Herrera, City Planner, Paul Shorting, Regional Recycling
  3. Samaritan House/Guests: Jack Anderson, Planner/Samaritan House, Jill Collinson, Planning Assistant, City of Nanaimo
  4. Other Business:
    Great Neighborhood Contest
    Picnic Thank You’s
    Bathtub Weekend
    Neighbourhood Garage Sale
    SECA T-Shirts
    Chalk Hop

1. Financial Report: Treasurer, S. Larocque reported on current balances.

General Account – $2,716.53
Picnic Fund  – $2,938.00 – after all expenses paid excepting the “thank you” advertisement for donations.
Revenues/Donations Breakdown:

Donations

  • $4,825.00

Revenues

  • 634.28/Hot Dog Sales
  • 691.75/Silent Auction
  • 373.00/T-Shirts/Aprons
  • 144.00/Popcorn

2. Recycling Depot: Sheila Herrera, City Planner, attended to background us on zoning/use of L1 designations in relation to the OCP.
-The City is currently looking at changes to all L1 designated zones to allow use for recycling facilities to include, in addition to bottles, appliances, electronics, styrofoam and paper products provided they are stored inside.  Exterior storage, such as that at the NRE would not be allowed.
-She points out that this change would be in keeping with OCP corridor development guidelines.
-Regarding the Richardson Foods building at 839 Victoria Rd., no development permit is required for a building of 14,000 sq. ft.
-A public hearing is scheduled August 7th to outline the proposed zoning change to L1’s allowing this use.
-The City is looking for a formal response from SECA addressing the issue.

Paul Shorting, Regional Recycling, spoke to the proposal.  He cited his years of experience at their Hayes/Kenworth Rd. Facility and it’s track record as a responsible business.  He stated that:
-They plan staffing with 5 employees @ 60hrs./wk.
-Hours of operation would be 8:30-5:30, Mon-Sat.
-Baling would be done inside the building.
-There are no plans to expand the footprint of the building.
-Pick-up needs are estimated to be met using 3 trailers per week.
-The proposed new location is 1k from the previous site to accomodate residents concerns.

Discussion:
-Concerns were again aired regarding increased traffic, both car and truck, on Old Victoria Rd. As well as the absence of Traffic control at both the Highway intersection and at the junction with 7th St.  Mr. Shorting pointed out that Kaltire and other businesses are presently located there.  He estimates additional automobile traffic of 100-135 cars daily.

-Claytree Society expressed their concerns regarding safety of their clients with increased traffic.
-Mr. Shorting indicated a willingness to assist with better cross-walks and signage at the      intersection with 7th.
-He stated that, in response to previous concerns, the company has examined alternative sites. He told the group that J. Richardson had approached him regarding the Richardson Foods location.
-He also informed us that Noise Abatement measures would be included and that no doorways or intake operations would be conducted on the rail side of the site.  Intake would be on the Kaltire side.  This concluded Mr. Shorting’s presentation.

Further Discussion:
-The benefit of having a South End recycling facility was expressed, as well as the added benefit of potential local jobs.  Such an investment in the neighborhood should be welcome.

-Jill Collinson, City, was asked if SECA can request the City to include a sidewalk requirement. She explained that current zoning does not require the inclusion of sidewalks and that SECA should contact the Traffic & Engineering departments for information on the issue.
-It was questioned if the Company would expand in future, notwithstanding their present commitment to maintaining the existing footprint.
-The point was again raised regarding discrepancies, in practice, between the OCP and the  previously approved Neighborhood Plans.  It was urged that the City honor these previously approved Plans.
-It was suggested that we address this issue at the August 7th hearing.

3. Samaritan House: Jill Collinson, representing the City, updated us on the zoning amendment process in relation to the Samaritan House proposal for use of the City R.O.W.  She indicated that the proposal is currently in the Development Permit process and that the design plan stage was completed with an overall positive response.  City has viewed the Food Forest proposal from B. Geselbrecht and is generally in support  provided previously outlined constraints are complied with.  The following conditions are still pending:
-A variance is required to provide an additional 2 parking spaces as stipulated by the City,   making a total of 6 overflow spaces for Samaritan House.
-An engineered retaining wall supporting the parking spaces is required.
-A dedicated pathway through the property from the Lane to Haliburton is required.
-Continued upkeep of the space is a concern of the City.
-The City asks for our comments on the Samaritan House plans as soon as possible and, also, for assurances of continuing maintenance of the site.

Discussion:
-A neighbor has privacy concerns as his deck is visible from the Samaritan House courtyard. Samaritan House will apply for a further variance regarding fence height, increasing it from the currently approved 1.8m to 2.9m to accomodate his concerns.
-Ben Geselbrecht will continue to liase with Parks & Recreation regarding the goals of food production in the form of tree crops and site maintenance.
-It was suggested that a Memorial to David Livingston could be placed at the site.
-The Executive will take a walk-through of the site on July 16 to address a vision and the upkeep concerns before making our comments to the City.

4. Great Neighborhood Contest: Sheila Herrera reminded us of the coming deadline to apply for the Great Neighborhood Contest and the support Gary Noble, City Planner and Chris Scholberg, Heritage, Arts and Culture liason for the City are willing to provide for our application.
-To enter, the City requires a submission and application from SECA.
            -The entry process will be discussed/delegated at the next Executive meeting.

5. Picnic Thank You’s: Doug Hardie took the opportunity to thank all the volunteers who helped to make this years’ Miner’s Heritage Picnic another great success.  Special thanks were extended to the Picnic Co-Ordinator, Sandra Larocque for her continued excellent work in organizing the Event.

6. Bathtub Weekend: SECA will enter the Bathtub Parade and our application is in process.
-The Tea Wagon will be driven and characters from the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party may participate.
-If children from the neighbourhood wish to participate, they are encouraged to do so and may contact S. Larocque for information.

7. Neighbourhood Garage Sale: The City has approved use of Deverill Park to hold a Community Garage Sale at the end of August.
-Participants must bring their own table(s) if required
-Hot dogs/Popcorn may be sold
-A nominal ‘space’ charge may be requested from participants.  $10 is suggested.

8. SECA T-Shirts: S. Larocque requests funds to purchase more T-Shirts, V-neck ladies shirts and aprons.   The Executive will deal with the request at their next meeting.

9. Chalk Hop: The Chalk Event is scheduled for September 5 with a Rain Date on the 12th.  Bayview students will participate.

Adjourned

Read Full Post »

A Neighbourhood Association vacancy on the Nanaimo Advisory Planning Committee (APC) is currently being advertised, and we will be accepting applications until 2014-JUL-29 (see link: http://www.nanaimo.ca/assets/Whats~New/PDFs/2014/140707NanaimoAdvisoryPlanningCommitteePositions2014.pdf).

Should anyone in your area be interested, it would be greatly appreciated if you would forward this email (and attachment) to members of your neighbourhood association.

If there are any questions, I can always be reached at 250-755-4473, or at this email.

Thanks!
Deborah

Deborah Jensen, MCIP, RPP
Community Development Planner
Community Development Division
City of Nanaimo
411 Dunsmuir Street, Nanaimo, BC
Phone (250) 755-4473    Fax (250) 755-4479

(\__/)
(=’.’=)
(“)_(“)

 

Read Full Post »

In absence of D. Hardie (Chair) meeting chaired by C. LoScerbo (Vice-Chair).

AGENDA

  1. Introductions
  2. Finance
  3. RCMP Update
  4. Car Co-Op Presentation
  5. Personal Statements/SECA Positions
  6. Princess Royal Sale
  7. Great Neighborhood Competition – SECA Nomination
  8. Constitution
  9. Traffic Light
  10. Festival of Banners
  11. SECA Heritage Picnic
  12. Other business:
    • Empire Days Parade

1. Introductions: Attendees named themselves.Guests in attendance were Dave Shear (RCMP), Ian Gartshore (CarShare), Meldy Wilton (Empire Days).

2. Finance: S. Laroque, Treasurer, reports:

$4,871.11 in the Picnic account and

$2,399.76 in the General Account after our General Insurance payment,

Event Insurance in the amount of $592.00 remains to be deducted.

3. RCMP update: Constable Dave Shear updated us regarding Policing activity in the Community. RCMP attended the Nob Hill association meeting and notes our common concern with the increase in drug/prostitution activity and litter around the 7/11 and assures us that RCMP is working on strategies to deal with the situation. He indicated that the 7/11 is co-operating with clean-up and has been requested to report suspicious activity on their site.
Patrols continue to monitor derelict properties and request neighbors to continue to report nuisance activity. They have a particular focus on the 2 houses next to the Balmoral. A quick resolution of the tenant issue at the nuisance property on Finlayson is imminent.

Discussion: The meeting was reminded that 7/11 gave assurances that their business would be supervised and nuisance activity monitored and reported when re-zoning was applied for. It was also mentioned that Randy Churchill updated Douglas about the new initiative to employ section 74 sub 2 of the community charter. Properties at #3, #5 and #13 Gillespie are now scheduled for demolition. The long-standing derelict property on Strickland Street is the next objective of Council action. He emphasized that SECAs’ ongoing dialogue with Council on the problem had a positive impact. The positive response of Council on this and other issues reinforces the validity of consistent, reasoned dialogue between the City and neighbourhood Associations such as SECA.  Attention was called to the revised Neighborhood Safety Brochure which outlines proper procedure for reporting nuisances to the Police. Response to questions regarding the old General Store, we were informed that demolition orders are in process.

4. CarShare Presentation: Ian Gartshore of Nanaimo CarShare Co-Operative attended to outline the program. He outlined approximate costs to individual, corporate and casual users. He described the province-wide networking in progress and the success of the program in Vancouver. He emphasized the economic and ecological benefits of the program which provides alternatives to car ownership when public transport, bike or walking can accommodate most usual transportation needs. He described the convenient on-line booking system and the ability to utilize the system in other centres such as Vancouver.

Discussion: Clarification on how the system works was provided. We were reminded that a condition of the potential development on Victoria Rd. Is the provision of a CarShare space at the site. C. LoScerbo volunteered to put information regarding the program on the SECA Blog.

5. Personal Opinion/SECA Positions: Membership was reminded of the importance of clearly indicating that personal statements in Media interviews, on Social Media and to the General Public are Not official SECA positions.

Discussion: The positive reputation SECA enjoys both with the City and the General Public is based on our considered and consensual approach to issues that affect our Community.

6. Princess Royal Sale: Discussion was held in regard to the listing for sale of the Princess Royal site and its potential effect on SECA and the Community. It was pointed out that loss of this space may not be imminent as costs associated with re-purposing old schools often resulted in property remaining listed for extended periods. The need for Community space in the South End was expressed. It was pointed out that in the OCP, Community Centres in strategic areas were a focus and it was suggested that the City might consider acquiring the property for Community use as several groups, including SECA currently utilize it.

Further Discussion: Reference to the OCP prompted discussion around the relationship between the Official Community Plan (OCP) for Nanaimo and the various Neighborhood Community Plans. C. LoScerbo clarified that the OCP is intended to give an overall direction for Development in Nanaimo but that this direction is subject to the specific needs/desires of individual neighborhoods. The intention has been that Neighborhood Plans should have precedence over the OCP when zoning issues, etc. are being considered. The language of the OCP and Neighborhood plans currently upholds this convention. C. Sholberg and F. Patje of the City suggest that, to preserve the sovereignty of all the Neighborhood Plans currently in place, SECA should consider lending formal support to the residents in the Chase River catchment area who are protesting rezoning of property on Victoria Road based on the language of their Neighborhood Plan. If this language is overturned by City, the same language in other Neighborhood Plans would then be potentially disregarded and the validity of Neighborhood Plans in general put in question. C. Sholberg of City Planning will be attending the next Executive Meeting to discuss this and other issues of concern. Membership will be updated and the issue placed on the May General Meeting Agenda.

7. Great Neighborhood Competition- SECA Nomination: C. Sholberg and Gary Noble met with Douglas and Chris this week to suggest that SECA field an entry to this competition. They both feel that our strong, proactive Neighborhood Association has made the South End Neighborhood a viable contender. Nominations are accepted in May until August (final competition details are not yet released for this year). Last years successful “Great Places, Streets and Neighbourhoods” are outlined in “Plan Canada” magazine (handed around). If anyone is interested in getting involved with the submission process, connect with any exec member.

8. SECA Constitution: Kathryn Hazel updated us on revisions to the SECA Constitution generated by herself and Kathy Tjorhelm. They focussed on clarifying language and updating procedures. The preliminary draft has been sent to the Executive for initial review. Versions will be presented to the General Membership for suggestions/final approval.

9. Traffic Light: A letter from P. Portsmouth was presented and read to the Meeting. Quote ” At a Council Meeting 26 November 2012, when were presented the petition, the Mayor stated clear dates when planning would be completed and the work would start, i.e., end of 2012, beginning of 2013. Work would start Fall 2013. Reference:  Committee of the Whole, 26 November 2012 can be found in City Council minutes (Video at 4.47) ” She sent copies of this letter to the City and to the Department of Highways.

Discussion: The re-prioritization of Traffic Light installations by the City and Dept. Of Highways has been brought before the membership previously. Examples were given of accidents at this intersection and concerns were again expressed about routing increased traffic through an un-improved intersection. In view of Councils previous commitment to a light, the idea of a petition and delegation to Council was generally supported. Moved by S. Laroque that a delegation be formed to attend Council and remind them of the 2007 commitment to improve the intersection with a traffic light. Seconded by L. Gambone. Carried unanimously. In support of the delegation it was suggested that other parties affected could be informed and their support sought. Coastland and the Taxi Companies as well as the drivers in their employ were mentioned in particular. D. Routley and D. Hardie were to contact them. S. Laroque volunteered to make calls also, if requested.

10. Festival of Banners: J. Carruthers presented information on the procedure to create a banner for the Festival of Banners. Banner designs created by South End residents will be hung along the South End stretch of Nicol Street. Currently, 3 banner designs have been submitted. More are encouraged. Banners must be completed by the end of April.

11. SECA Heritage Picnic: S. Laroque updated the membership on preparations for this year’s Picnic. She reminded us of the added Special Event Insurance cost. Volunteers were requested to assist in canvassing for donations. A volunteer is also needed to handle event scheduling and organization at the function.

12. Empire Days Parade: Member Meldy Wilton presented an invitation to the South End Community to participate in this year’s Empire Day Parade. She outlined the social and community benefits of the parade and its attendant events. She emphasized that the event is also known as the May Day Parade within the Community and that the name by which it is known does not negate it’s positive value to the Community.

Discussion: Most discussion centred around the political ramifications of participation. In particular, concern that support of an “Empire Day” event would be disrespectful to the First Nations cultures, historically ill- served by the “Empire” of the day. It was put forward that participation in a “May Day” celebration would be more acceptable. Ms. Wilton stated that a name change has been proposed, but founding members, still making up the majority of their Board, are resistant to a change. It was determined to place this item on the Agenda for the next Executive Meeting for a recommendation/report at the May General Meeting.

9pm – Adjourned

Read Full Post »

AGENDA:

  1. Introductions
  2. Financial Report/Membership
  3. Samaritan House/City Right of Way
  4. Derelict Houses/RCMP Public Safety Report
  5. Tree Planting/Neighbourhood beautification
  6. Recycling facility – Old Victoria Rd.
  7. Traffic Lights
  8. Sidewalk petition

1. Introductions: Attendees named themselves. Two interest groups attended. Ronelle Bosman and Jack Anderson on behalf of Samaritan House, and Residents of Victoria Rd., regarding the proposed Recycling facility in that neighbourhood.

2. Financial Report/Membership: Attendees were reminded of the $5 voting membership fee and the ‘first Wednesday at 7pm’ General Meetings. Mention was made of the possible need to relocate the meeting site if the facility is sold, but our current location will be used for the time being.

Current Account Balances:

$4,871.73 – Picnic Account
$3,014.74 – General Account

Our Insurers have made changes to coverage. They will cover General Liability as usual, with the exception of the Miner’s Day Picnic Event. They have determined that separate coverage must be issued for this event at a cost of $259.00 which will be deducted from the Picnic Account. Total Insurance cost for the year will be $1,300.00 for General Liability plus $259.00 for the extra coverage, making a total of $1,559.00.

3. Samaritan House: Jack Anderson, Agent for the Island Crisis Society, and Ronelle Bosman presented an overview of the goals and operation of Samaritan House and the Therapeutic Housing Facility. They outlined their current application to the City for re-zoning of 2 adjacent properties as ‘Community Service’ to accommodate an expansion of their Facility to allow more housing/skills programming for troubled women.

  • They requested SECA approval for use of the currently vacant City Right of Way on the opposite side of the alley backing their facility to accommodate 3-4 parking spaces.
  • They indicated that they would improve the lot and assume responsibility for general upkeep of that area.
  • They requested input/suggestions regarding what the Community would like to see done at the site and indicated their desire to work in accordance with the Neighbourhood Plan.
  • In their discussions with the City about the site, the City gave permission with the Provisos that City access to water mains/sewer lines under the area be maintained, and that SECA approve.

In general discussion the following points were made:

  • Any plan for the lot should eliminate blackberries, wild shrubbery and hidden areas where drug activity and other dangers could occur.
  • Suggestions were made for a Sculpture or Sensory Garden, Fruit/Nut trees, and a minimal landscape for ease of upkeep.

Community suggestions are needed within 3-4 weeks to accomodate their time frame with the City. Chair, D. Hardie, indicated that the proposal would be placed on the Agenda of the next Executive Meeting. He requested that any present wishing to have suggestions considered inform him as soon as possible.

4. Derelict Houses: D. Hardie reported that he is still awaiting word from Randy Churchill of the City on demolition/remediation of derelict properties on Gillespie, Strickland and Haliburton. As Council’s attention was drawn to problem properties at the last Council meeting, he suggests that now may be an opportune time to make a representation to Council urging them to adopt clear policies regarding such properties. G. Fuller, Member of City Safety Board, outlined the difficulties surrounding issuance of demolition orders to property owners. Some derelict properties await resolution of insurance issues, others are for sale, with demolition as a condition of purchase. While Community Charter sections cover some situations, he indicated that legal issues are an impediment to action by the City.

RCMP – Derelict Properties/Public Safety: Constable Dave LaBerge spoke to the derelict property issue, informing that demolition of the old store on Haliburton is imminent unless the owner launches another appeal. Regarding other derelict properties, he indicated that the Community Charter limits action to properties that present a safety hazard to the public and that standards of maintenance are not specified in the Charter.

He also reported that the Landlords of the View Street and Finlayson nuisance properties were contacted and they are making changes.

He indicated that RCMP is aware of and is monitoring street activity around the 24hr. 7-11 site. They are also watching the 2 vacant properties on Haliburton adjacent to the Balmoral. He encourages the neighbourhood to file nuisance reports when appropriate.

5. Tree Planting: Ben & Michael Geselbracht of the not-for-profit Community Youth and Development Association made a presentation on the goals of the organization. They work with Youth to promote Community interaction, volunteerism, education in agricultural techniques and creating Urban Green Space/food production.

They cited their agricultural education, experience as growers and noted projects they have initiated and executed in Victoria. They suggested they might make a positive contribution to the Samaritan House lot project. D. Hardie restated SECAs’ commitment to the greening of the South End and invited them to attend the next Executive Meeting to discuss their possible contribution.

6. Recycling Centre/Traffic Lights: Valentina Cardinalli presented concerns of residents on Old Victoria Rd., regarding the proposed Recycling Facility in their neighbourhood.
Of concern:

  • Processing/Storage of Hazardous waste.
  • Vermin
  • No recycling of usable material to general public.
  • Increased truck and general traffic at already busy times.

The residents request SECA to write a Letter of Support against re-zoning and urging relocation of the project to an existing Industrial area. On behalf of SECA, D. Hardie points out that the facility doesn’t fall under our purview and we have no input outside of the Public Hearing on the issue.

Discussion addressed:

  • Traffic concerns. Installation of the promised Traffic Light at the intersection of Old Victoria Rd. Highway 1 and Haliburton St. is delayed due to an unresolved City/Provincial funding issue.
  • Frequency of accidents at the intersection is currently less than at other areas in the City and priority may be a concern.
  • Regarding funding the Traffic Light, a suggestion was made that the Church and Recycling Centre (if it is approved) could be levied for the cost, or a portion thereof, as they are major causes of the need for a light. SECA will continue to press the City for a resolution.
  • In regard to discussion around the Recycling Facility, it is pointed out that the proposed location falls under the Chase River Plan. The presentation made to us by Regional Recycling and the City representative at the last General Meeting was made for information-gathering/courtesy reasons. Boundary issues present on-going difficulty.

In response to questions concerning how the general public can be notified of SECAs’ initiatives and their progress, D. Hardie indicated that our Web Blog is updated regularly and can be accessed at will.

In response to the requests for written support by the Victoria Rd. Residents, D. Hardie indicated he could write a letter confirming that the residents had attended to express their concerns and that SECA had not approved or disapproved the project at the presentation.

7. Sidewalk – 700 Block Haliburton: Currently, the City will not address this issue until after 2017. Extra traffic caused by an approval for the Recycling Facility may cause them to reconsider. The issue will be discussed at the next Executive Meeting.

Other:

8. The status of the Robinson Gardens project was queried. No new information was available.

Read Full Post »


Downtown land purchase finalized
SPENCER ANDERSON DAILY NEWS Sanderson@nanaimodailynews.com 250-729-4255
Nanaimo Daily News
Mar 30 2013

The city has finalized its purchase of the 26.7-acre Wellcox Railway lands, opening the door to a potential partnership with the Regional District of Nanaimo to develop a future transportation hub. The $3.4-million purchase from Canadian Pacific Rail…read more…

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »