Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Monthly Meetings’ Category

AGENDA

  1. Financial Report
  2. New Executive
  3. Neighbourhood Safety
  4. Needle Box Location
  5. Waterfront Update
  6. SECA Soiree’
  7. Brochures
    Other:
  8. Chase River Estuary Park
  9. SECA potential Grant Recipient

~

Acknowledgement that we meet on traditional Snuneymuxw territory

Introductions

1. Financial Report

2. New Executive: Positions held on the new Executive are as follows:

  • Chrys LoScerbo – Chair
  • Kathryn Hazel – Vice-­Chair
  • Sandra Larocque – Treasurer
  • Starr Faux – Recording Secretary
  • Sandy McLellan – Membership Secretary

Members At Large:

  • Mike Carpenter,
  • Petra DeGroot,
  • Blake McGuffie,
  • Sydney Robertson,
  • Ben Gelselbracht

3. Neighbourhood Safety: Constable LaBerge and colleague attended to report on developments in the neighbourhood. He informed us that the Patricia’s opening has been delayed, but will occur soon.

Several Members brought forward ongoing concerns with drug activity, prostitution, garbage and other illegal activities in our area. Constable LaBerge explained RCMP procedures regarding these concerns and encouraged residents to continue to monitor and report to the appropriate agencies, in most cases the RCMP or City department. He indicated that these problems are City­wide and that the RCMP works to balance interventions within the legal constraints of policing activity.

In regard to current and on­-going complaints in our neighbourhood he informs that residences at 33 and 25 Haliburton are currently designated for action and that they are aware of concerns regarding number 21 also. He also told us that active participation of residents by attending Court proceedings on actionable cases they have flagged and by reporting frequently are helpful in resolving issues., (follow the procedures outlined in our Brochure available at all SECA General Meetings or from any Board Member)

In discussion the following points emerged:

  • Social problems are endemic and on-­going in all areas of our City, and cannot be totally eradicated
  • The active participation by residents in improving the environment with projects such as our Food Forest initiative and community events goes a long way toward building an environment which discourages undesirable activities. These are welcomed and supported by both City and the RCMP.
  • Consistent, frequent and mindful reporting of bylaw violations and criminal activity helps agencies respond appropriately. Document occurrences.
  • Several suggestions regarding affordable social housing and programming for the addicted and disadvantaged were also brought forward by concerned residents

4. Needle Box Location: John Horn, City Parks/Recreation attended to discuss concerns around the placement of the sharps disposal box at Deverill Park. After thorough discussion they determined the current placement of the box as a ‘best fit’ as placing the box on/in the washroom building was not an option. He stated that City would be willing to relocate the box further down the fence line if SECA requests it. New boxes are being installed throughout City neighbourhoods with 10 new boxes currently placed, bringing the total to 14. They are well­-used and are moved to keep pace with areas of high drug use, which change in response to enforcement, etc. Private citizens may request a box, but are responsible for the cost, disposal, etc. A map of box locations is available at the City website.

5. Port Drive Waterfront Masterplan Update: C. LoScerbo and K. Hazel represented SECA at the most recent workshop, held by City with the participation of BC Ferries, the Port Authority, and Port Place Mall (First Capital Investment). The process of determining how best to utilize/revitalize the waterfront is complex due to the many stakeholders involved. General conclusions were that site development should incorporate more residential use rather than a focus on Commercial/Transport usage. There will be another workshop in January which they will attend. Execution of the Waterfront Plan is at least 10 years in the future.

Concern was expressed that the Snuneymuxw Nation did not have a representative present, as portions of the waterfront are part of their traditional lands. It was pointed out that every stakeholder (including SECA) needs to build a long-term relationship of trust with the Band so that they are further supported to participate and direct these processes.

SECA has concerns with waterfront access and views as well as maintaining a positive and respected relationship with the Snuneymuxw Nation. Additional information was given about the push to expand Front Street and the deteriorated trestle currently abutting it. General consensus was that it was impractical to fix the trestle, but that it should be maintained for basic safety. Construction of a road extension, avoiding the trestle, is a more practical and cheaper alternative.

6. SECA Silly Soiree’: Our Spring Fundraiser will be held on Saturday, April 2 at the Nanaimo Entertainment. Cost will be $20 per person or a flat rate of $50 for a household family. Games such as ‘Toonie Toss’, 50/50, raffles, etc. will be featured. Food will be delicious and simple finger foods and applies. Volunteers, donors are needed so please consider giving of your time/effort.

The Event Poster and tickets for sale will be available at the next General meeting. Please consider taking extra to put up/sell outside in your own time.

7. Brochures: SECA partners with the City to provide a half-page Safe Neighbourhood Guide to support and remind anyone on “who-to-call” and tips we’ve learned over the years when dealing with nuisance behavious or other concerns. Pick one or many up at any of our meetings or consider passing them out to your neighbours!

8. Chase River Estuary Park: Thomas encouraged residents to take advantage of the Chase River Estuary Park, a great place for hiking. He welcomes comments from users on suggested improvements, safety issues, etc.

9. SECA potential Grant Recipient: S. Larocque requests SECA members to attend the next City Council meeting, January 18. Culture & Heritage will be awarding Grants in response to submissions from neighbourhoods around the City. Thanks to S. and K. Hazel for their work on our submission, which we are hopeful will be approved.

Adjourned: 9:10 pm

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Introductions
  2. Financial Report
  3. Bylaw Revisions
  4. Community Safety
  5. Milton/Haliburton Nuisance Property
  6. Needle Box Location
  7. MyStreet Update
  8. Other Business

1. Introductions: A resident attended to express concerns about industrial traffic opposite her View St. property. After hearing her concerns, Chair suggested traffic concerns be put on a future agenda for general discussion.

2. Financial Report: Our attention was called to a shortage of popular T­shirt sizes and permission was asked to spend $448.00 to purchase more T’s and Aprons for sale at our Meetings and Events. Motion: M. Larocque, Second: K. Hazel. Carried.

3. Bylaw RevisionsK. Hazel distributed copies of the Revised SECA Bylaws and highlighted changes made. They will also be available for review on the SECA blog and will be presented for ratification at the AGM. On behalf of the Membership, Chair praised the excellent work on these Revisions by K. Hazel and K. Torhjelm and thanked them for their dedication.

4. Community Safety: Constable LaBerge sent regrets as he was unable to attend. He informed Chair that, regarding on­-going concerns about drug sales and loitering in the vicinity of Nicol and Milton Sts., both McDonalds and Shell have co-­operated in supervising their properties. The 7/11 has not been as proactive.
Chair reminded us that, for the initial approval of a 24 hr. operation, a Caveat was included to revoke that status if problems occurred as a result. Chair is working to ensure that the Police and Randy Churchill of City Bylaws are on board to address this issue.

5. Milton/Haliburton Nuisance PropertyThe vandalized fence has now been repaired. The delay in the repair and clean­up of debris left by trespassers was due to restrictions on Police access. They are required to provide prior notice to the owner/landlord. It is pointed out that the lot is owned by the same individual as the 7/11.

6. Needle Box Location: Chair informs that a letter has been sent to City, requesting that the Box be relocated to the originally agreed position on the Washrooms wall.
In discussion, information was shared regarding the active support of John Horn, Social Planner for City, in working to provide homeless housing throughout the City.
We are reminded that SECA has produced a brochure, available to all, outlining recommended reporting procedures for suspicious activity, property concerns and the like. The brochure is available at Meetings or online on the SECA blog.

7. MyStreet Update: South End residents S. Robertson and P. James updated us on the work of the Steering Committee on which they sit with representatives from the DNBIA and the City. The Committee’s mandate is the Nicol St. corridor from Comox to the South End area. The Committee is planning to put on several events, such as My Street, between now and April to highlight the possibilities for improvement, development and community use of the Street. Another item on their Agenda is an application for a “zone exemption” in response to legislation prohibiting any new building on contaminated soil. Such soil underlies the corridor. Also under discussion on the Committee is consideration of a permanent parking lane along Nicol as research indicates that the Street is seen as a ‘gateway’, not highway.
Preparations for the My Street event are going forward well. This exciting Day will showcase local vendors, services, artists, musicians and craftsmen. Approval has been granted for the closure of one lane and the placement of two cross-­walks between 10-­4pm. Certified flaggers will provide traffic control.
SECA will mock­up some possibilities for a Community Centre/Neighbourhood House at 55 Victoria Rd. The membership is asked to support this initiative by volunteering or donating plants, outdoor furniture and the like. Trucks are also needed to move things on Saturday the 19th. Volunteers are needed for the event on September 20 for set­up, shifts, communications, clean­up, etc. Contact Sabrina, Volunteer Coordinator at mystreetvolunteers@shaw.ca to help!

8. Food Forest: Plantings are doing well at the food forest site.

9. Other: General concerns around traffic and pollution were discussed and the importance of ensuring that pedestrians have completely exited a cross ­walk, especially when making left turns, was pointed out.

Adjourned.
8:45pm

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Financial Report
  2. Gung Haggis Fat Choy
  3. Gord Fuller
  4. C. Davis ­ Litter
  5. Community Safety – D. LaBerg
  6. Deverill Park – Summer Program
  7. Community Facility
  8. SECA Storage
  9. Other: Downtown Waterfront Initiative continues

Guests:
Ms Charlotte David, Mgr – Sanitation & Recycling, City of Nanaimo
Ben & Michael Geselbracht – David Livingston Food Forest/ Samaritan House Gathering Place, (MYCDC)


 

1. Financial Report: The Treasurer reported the following balances:

  • General Account ­ 3,075.67
  • Picnic Account ­ 2,808.54
  • Proceeds Gung Haggis ­ 813.91

2. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser: Thanks was extended to all the volunteers with special mention to Sandra, Joan, Chris, Blake, Kathryn, Kenny and Michelle for their work. Thanks also to Sydney and her dancers and to Ed… ‘thanks for all the fish!’ Quality Foods again supported SECA events generously. The success of this event was due to the hard work and support of all.

3. Gord Fuller: The group was backgrounded on Gord Fuller’s accident and improving condition.

Attention was called to the donation site on the Net. The web address will be put on the blog for individuals who wish to contribute. The group discussed what assistance SECA might give to him and his family.

Motion by E. Chan, Second L. Gambone; That a $200 grocery gift card from Quality Foods be presented to his family.

4. LitterIn response to the on­going problem with casual dumping in the neighbourhood, Charlotte Davis of City Sanitation attended to background us on the City’s policies and programs around litter and casual dumping:

  • Report dumping in the neighbourhood to City Sanitation – they will dispatch a worker to remove it.
  • To report dumping on railway property contact the Island Corridor Foundation.
  • For problems with excess garbage/litter at a residence, contact R. Churchill, City Bylaws officer. He will direct cleanup by the owner.

Programs offered by the City are:

  • Community Litter Pick Up Program. Twice yearly. City provides $50.00 plus cleaning supplies to neighbourhood groups. RDN accepts waste free for the program. Must have own insurance coverage. Apply for specific Streets/Areas. Applications currently being accepted.
  • Re­use Rendezvous. Once yearly curbside exchange of unused items. She indicated that this program is under­-utilized.

Discussion:
Comment was made that under­use of Re­Use Rendezvous is because City does not pick up items not taken. It was pointed out that ‘Free­cycle.org’ is used by some southend residents for such items.

Ms. Davis told the group that the Regional Solid Waste Program is currently under review. As a Technical Advisor, she is collecting feedback from the population on waste issues such as; recycling at multi­-family sites, yard waste, waste collection for the disabled, and ‘disposable’ diapers. She will e­mail the Chairman with a request for suggestions.

She pointed out that the status of the NRE is currently in limbo. We can best support NRE by voicing our viewpoint at the Public Hearing.

Comment was made that the new Recycling Depot seemed to be working well. It was pointed out by one resident that noise was a problem.

Finally, she requested e­mail submissions to ‘Nanaimo Recycles’. Give the reasons you feel recycling is important.

5. Community SafetyD. LaBerge – The Police Department fielded 35­36,000 calls last year. Due to budget cuts, the Department has a shortfall of 20­25 Officers. They have requested 3 additional Officers. Constable LaBerg indicated that property crime is up significantly throughout BC. In Nanaimo, an increase in property crime is occurring throughout the City The South End is not experiencing more growth than the North. This rise may be due to drug problems with crystal meth, heroin and phentonal (a pharmaceutical analgesic 100x stronger than heroin) currently on the street.

Conditions around the 7/11 and McDonalds have improved somewhat.

Bill C36, enacted in December, targets sex­trade clientele as opposed to workers.

The Patricia and the Jolly Miner are now closed except for the apartments above the Jolly Miner.

Increased foot traffic along the railroad tracks due to the homeless bringing bottles etc., to the new recycling depot may cause an increase in break­ins. It is illegal to use railways as pedestrian walkways and this can be used if there are complaints.

6. David Livingston Gathering Place/Food Forest: Ben and Michael Geselbrecht attended to alert the group to the need for a work party at the site in February to:

  • dig out the remaining blackberry roots. A roto­tiller or bush hog would be helpful for this task and it was suggested that Robinson Rentals be approached to see if they would donate the equipment for the day.
  • Trim the lower branches of the Maple tree.
  • Demarcate the planting beds with stakes.

February 28 from 10am-­4pm has been selected as the date. Hot drinks and lunch will be provided for the blackberry rooters.We need to advertise the work day effectively to garner the needed volunteers. Information will be posted on the Blog and the Membership Secretary will email all members asking for their help.

Another work party will be needed in March to:

  • feed the beds with manure and cover them in cardboard for weed control.
  • Plant and mulch the beds with leaves
  • create pathways with cedar mulch.

A water tank/irrigation system for passive watering of the fruit trees/plantings will need to be acquired. B.Geselbrecht will cost out the totals for the elements of the plan.

7. Deverill Park/Summer Program: The Summer Day Program usually funded by the City will, in all likelihood, be withdrawn due to dwindling attendance. The park itself is well­used by Day Cares and families coming with their children. The City would fund 1 or 2 youth to run a small program or act as ‘ambassadors’ in the park. In past FoodShare has provided lunch for the Day Program; would this continue? The Parks Department would like our suggestions.

8. South End Community Facility: The group was informed on the purpose of the Committee, formed to explore the options for acquiring a Community space. A handout was provided outlining the purpose, scope of responsibility and reporting practices for the Committee.

In discussion, the impact of the possible designation of Bayview as a Community School was examined.

9. Downtown Waterfront Initiative continues: Chair, D.Hardie reported that he is still serving on the Downtown Waterfront Committe tasked with creating a charter to guide waterfront development in the coming years. He indicated that the Committee is working to engage the Snuneymuxw in the process, but have not yet met with success. He informs also that a guest from the Seattle Waterfront Development Committee will be attending one of their meetings to demonstrate how such initiatives can work.

 

Adjourned. 8:50pm

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Financial Report
  2. Gung Haggis Fat Choy
  3. Community Facility
  4. Litter
    Other:
  5. Robin’s Garden
  6. Bee Hotel Workshop
  7. Traffic on Haliburton

1. Financial Report

2. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser: Plans are coming together for this event, to be held at the old Caprice Theatre on Jan. 24 – volunteers begin work at 4:30 doors open at 5:00 pm.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED to pick­up/return tables, provide salads, desserts,etc., man the door, serving tables and to assist with set­up and clean­up. Please contact S. Larocque at 250 753 1394 if you are able to help in any way.

S. Larocque is in charge of food for the event – contact her if you are able to provide a salad, dessert or side dish. Nesvog Meats is cooking roast beef (C.Torjhelm will pick up), and veggie burgers will be available for those on special diets. S. McLellan is working on a donation of the Haggis from Quality Foods. Petra DeGroot will take charge of desserts, and Michelle will take care of coffee and tea. Blake McGuffie will handle liquor stock/sales. Sydney Robertson will book the Piper and organize entertainment.
Lisa Martin will head the Clean­up Crew. The clean­up will start by 11pm and be completed by 12 midnight.
We anticipate a 6pm start of the Procession. Kathryn Hazel will make the Toast to the Bard following Dinner. She reminds all those who have tickets for sale that she needs any extra tickets as well as the money generated by sales, to be turned in by the Thursday before the Event (January 22).

3. Community Facility: The group was backgrounded on the progress of the Committee looking into the possibility of acquiring a Facility for use by the Community. S. McLellan reports that a survey/questionnaire will be developed by the Committee as a tool to explore the desires of the Community as regards having a South End Neighbourhood Facility and what uses could be incorporated. It was pointed out that the City has provided approx. $10,000 for use as we see fit for enhancement in the neighbourhood . Perhaps such a project would be good use for those funds. Additionally, it was noted that some Councillors, when asked informally, were supportive of this initiative.

4. LitterBarbara Densmore reported that garbage and general dumping of refuse has been occurring at Milton and Esplanade. She contacted Randy Churchill of City report the situation. She queried whether this was a City issue. Who should remove this garbage?
Regarding garbage in the neighbourhood in general, the following points were brought up:

  • ­ Focus on educating Schools about litter
  • ­ Do we have fewer ‘Art Bins’ out? Do we need to look at providing more?
  • ­ McDonald’s and 7/11 are cleaning up around their locations.

It was suggested that we contact Randy Churchill and request him to attend a meeting to discuss the Community concerns with the state of litter in the neighbourhood.

5. Robins Gardens: Landon Homney reports that construction on the Robins Gardens project has resumed.

6. Bee Hotel Workshop: Thomas – Ambassador for Chase River Park, would like to present a Seminar on Bee Hotels on March 21. He is looking for a location at which to hold it.

7. Traffic on Haliburton: S. Larocque expressed concerns about traffic on Haliburton and would like to see Radar used to ameliorate it. She reminded that the South End Neighbourhood Plan promises improved traffic control.

 

Adjourned.

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Introductions and Potluck Social
  2. Financial Report
  3. Friend of the South End: Jill Stannard
  4. Elections
  5. Gung Haggis Fat Choy
  6. Caroling
  7. Art Bins
  8. RCMP Neighborhood Update

1. Introductions:
Guest: Leonard Krog, MP

2. Financial ReportThe Treasurer reported that a shortfall of $1300.00 in donations caused a small deficit to the Picnic Account which has a current balance of $2,808.50.
The General Account balance is $1,991.67.

3. Friend of the South End: Jill StannardJill was recognized for her many years of supporting the South End Community, in particular, her role as historian and guide of the annual Heritage Walk; a popular feature of the Miners’ Day Picnic. She was honoured with the presentation of a ‘Friend of the South End’ Award and a floral tribute.

4. Elections: MP Leonard Krog attended to invigilate our annual Election process.
Results of the Election were:

  • Chairman – Douglas Hardie
  • Vice­Chair – Christine LoScerbo
  • Treasurer – Sandra Larocque
  • Membership – Sandy McLellan
  • Recording Secretary – Starr Faux
  • Member At Large – Blake McGuffie
  • Member At Large – Kathryn Hazel
  • Member At Large – Lisa Martin
  • Member At Large – Petra Sochor

5. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser: Tickets are now available for our Second Annual celebration of Chinese New Year/Robbie Burns Day to be held on January 24 at the old Caprice Theatre on Nicol Street. This year’s menu will include chili and stew for general consumption as well as the traditional ceremonial Haggis/Fish. The Piper has not yet been confirmed. There will be a Dance presentation by Sydney’s Scottish Country Dancers. We will need approximately 20 tables – if you have tables you can provide, or are able to volunteer to make chili or stew, please contact Sandra Larocque as soon as possible at javawook@shaw.ca

6. Caroling: A reminder that this years’ Caroling Event will be held in the plaza area in front of Iron Oxide Art Supplies at 7pm on Wednesday, December 17 mulled wine for participants and Michelle has volunteered to play the flute.

7. Art BinsVolunteers are needed for our Art Bin Project. Contact Sandra or Chris LoScerbo to offer your time and talents.

8. RCMP Neighbourhood Update: Constable D. LaBerge

Needle boxes: Constable LaBerge reports that deliberations are in progress regarding placement of Sharps boxes. He will keep us updated.

Patricia Pub: The Patricia is now closed.

Nuisance Properties: He reports that the 2 nuisance properties at the North end of Haliburton have been quieted and that they are still working on issues with the View Street property. The Victoria Road property has now been demolished. He clarified for us that 75% of a property must be burned out or beyond remediation before the City can issue a demolition order.

Shell­7/11­McDonalds: The RCMP met with these businesses and spoke with them about ways to deal with Street Activity at their properties. On Saturday they will have a walk­through of Wisteria Lane at 10 a.m. To discuss ways of mitigating problems with drug dealing/use in the area.

Adjourned.

Read Full Post »

AGENDA

  1. Introductions
  2. Candidate Presentations
  3. RCMP/John Howard Society
  4. Tree Planting
  5. School Trustees All Candidates Meetings
  6. RCMP Report
  7. Financial Report
  8. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser
  9. SECA Neighbourhood House
  10. Constitution update
    Other Business:
  11. Halloween Block Party
  12. Caroling
  13. Jill Standard

1. Introductions: Attendees named themselves. Guests in attendance were:

  • Fred Patje – Council Candidate
  • Ian Thorpe – Council Candidate
  • Kim Fagerlund – Restorative Justice, John Howard Society
  • Alan Kemp – City of Nanaimo

2. Candidate Presentations: Fred Patje and Ian Thorpe attended to inform us regarding their candidacy for Nanaimo City Council. Mr. Patje expressed his thanks for SECA’s support over the last 6 years, particularly as regards the implementation of Neighbourhood Plans, which he continues to strongly support. He pointed out the successful work of SECA in facilitating neighbourhood improvements and its’ standing as an example in the Community at large. He also expressly thanked our Chair, Douglas Hardie and Vice­Chair Chris LoScerbo for their work on the Waterfront Committee initiative. He then introduced Ian Thorpe, fellow Candidate, and backgrounded us on his community work and teaching history at J. Barsby Secondary. He emphasized his work ethic and collegial, co­operative approach when serving on committees.

Mr. Thorpe then spoke, indicating his appreciation of South End residents and initiatives. He elaborated on his 10 years at Barsby and his extra­curricular work, his Committee work with Mr. Patje, and his desire to serve the residents of Nanaimo.

3. RCMP/John Howard Society: Constable D. LaBerg informed us on the goals of the Restorative Justice Program being implemented by the John Howard Society. He introduced Kim Fagerlund, Program Co­ordinator and her client. Her client had been apprehended selling marijuana and, instead of cycling through the court system, he was given the opportunity to make reparation directly. To do this, he is attending this meeting and has donated $300 to SECA. He also spoke to us, assuring us that, while he sells marijuana to adults in an adult setting, he does not sell to teenagers or children; that he is not violent, and does not steal or pose any other threat to residents. Constable LaBerg confirmed this. The individual was thanked for attending/donating and explaining his personal situation to us. Chair, D. Hardie also thanked Constable LaBerg and the John Howard Society for their work on this initiative.

4. Tree Planting: Alan Kemp, City Engineering Department, attended to let us know that BC Hydro has again supplied funds for South End beautification. They have provided $6,000 to purchase, plant and sustain 40 new trees to be planted along Haliburton Street. Mr. Kemp requested volunteers to begin planting them, with the assistance of City Works. City Works staff will take responsibility for watering and ongoing care of the trees. Several present volunteered to help plant; others volunteered to attend to provide refreshment. They will meet on Saturday, November 8 at 9 a.m. at “R U Computing” to begin work on the project. The event will be photographed for local media. Mr. Kemp was thanked for his past and present work to make this neighbourhood improvement possible.

5. School Trustees All Candidates Meetings: Ed Chan informed the group of the all­ candidates meetings he has worked to implement.

The meetings will be held at J. Barsby on Thursday and Friday, November 13 and 14 from 6:30­ 9:00. At these sessions, candidates for School Trustee will present their qualifications and vision for administrating the $135 million annual budget for School District 68. He was thanked for his work on this initiative. Details will be posted on our Blog to inform the Neighbourhood of this opportunity to vet candidates.

6. RCMP Report: Constable LaBerg informed us that RCMP efforts over the last couple of months have been focused on dealing with car thefts, marina break­-ins, robberies and home invasions. As a result of this focus, many perpetrators have been apprehended.

Drug issues have recently been less of a focus, however, designated nuisance properties on Haliburton and View Streets have been targeted and landlords have co­operated in removing drug ­dealing renters. Improvement has been noted.

Regarding drug issues, Constable LaBerg informed us that, throughout the City, heroin and crystal­ meth use are of increasing concern. As a consequence, he and John Horn of City have been speaking with Neighbourhood Associations about the need to provide more Sharps Disposal Boxes. Additional disposal boxes to be located near Nob Hill, Deverill Park and Pauline Harer were indicated as needed to protect children and residents from the dangers presented by discarded

Discussion:
Some expressed concern that the presence of more Sharps Boxes would reflect negatively on the areas where they were placed and would encourage more drug use there. Others pointed out the dangers of discarded needles and spoke to the fact that diabetics and others requiring sharps use for medical reasons also dispose of used needles in the boxes. The upcoming changes in prostitution laws were also brought up and the question raised as to how these changes might affect drug and other social issues.

Constable LaBerg cited his many years of experience around the needle issue and stated that the boxes, present throughout the City, do not intrude visually as many boxes are not even noticed by those who do not actually use them. In his experience, they do not encourage drug use and do increase safety for all. He spoke regarding the recent meeting at the Conference Centre in which representatives from VIHA, NARSF, the RCMP, local business owners, residents and Street people gathered to discuss the situations and safety issues faced by all stake-­holders. The exchange of information, particularly as regards the coming de­-criminalization of prostitution and the on-going concerns around street-drugs such as Meth and Heroin was beneficial and provided a constructive dialog around these issues.

Chair, D. Hardie, spoke in support of Constable LaBerg’s experience and expertise in this area and cited his initiatives with local business in the area of the 7-­11 and McDonald’s; educating these businesses as to how to deal with problem people. He thanked the Constable for his on­going work, assisting local neighbourhoods in dealing with these issues.

7. Finance: S. Laroque, Treasurer, reports:

Picnic Account – Present balance is $2,208.48. With the addition of the $300 donation through the Restorative Justice program, the balance will be $3,108.48.

General Account – Present balance is $2,332.41 

8. Gung Haggis Fat Choy Fundraiser: The 2nd Annual fundraiser will be held at the old Caprice Theatre, Nicol Street, on Saturday January 24. Tickets to the event will be available at our next meeting for Members to sell. The cost of $15 will cover admission, entertainment and dinner. A cash bar will be provided with proceeds to SECA.

Volunteers are needed for set­up, clean­up and food. Some volunteers have already stepped forward for Music – Mike’s DJ, MC – C. LoScerbo, Toasts to the Bard – K. Hazel, the Lassies – L. Gambone and the Laddies – P. Portsmouth. Petra will organize dessert volunteers, Lisa Martin will organize clean­up. We await confirmation from the Piper. Triple T catering has quoted a cost of $245 to cover dishes, cutlery, tables, etc. Provided we pick up and return them ourselves. Additional tables are also needed. Volunteers should contact S. Larocque.

Paula Beltgens informed that she will record a segment at the Event for our Happy Video. The video will be edited for release in February around Valentine’s Day.

Sandra also reminded the group to continue to save and turn in their Country Grocer receipts, as the credits already supplied through this program were sufficient to provide the refreshments served at last weeks’ successful Halloween Event.

9. Neighbourhood House: S. McLellan­French backgrounded us on the idea of acquiring a permanent facility to provide space for neighbourhood events, meetings and public use. He identified areas needing investigation and suggested a Committee of volunteers be formed to:

  • identify possible locations; eg. The Vast building, Loaves and Fishes building, 5 Acres, etc.
  • Seek partners and explore rental possibilites to provide income for on­going costs
  • Explore funding opportunities and draft briefs for funding
  • Determine what functions volunteers and/or paid staff could provide in running the facility.

Motion made by S. Larocque: “to form a working Committee to explore the funding and location of a permanent facility for use by South End residents and SECA”.

Seconded: L. Gambone. Carried.

Sandra Laroque will take the names of any who wish to volunteer to participate as members of the working groups within the Committee. She noted that Paula Beltgens and Sydney Robertson have experience and connections in the fundraising and real estate components of this initiative and stand ready to provide contacts and assistance in these areas. The Committee would report back to the group as the process evolved.

10. Constitution: Chair, D.Hardie, updated us on progress around needed Constitution Revisions. It had been hoped that suggested revisions to clarify our Mandate, Mission Statement, Procedures, etc. would be presented at tonight’s meeting. He indicated that there is no time constraint causing urgency for this process and that our goal is to ‘do it right’ to ensure that revisions effectively provide clarity in the purview and conduct of the Association. Support was expressed for taking the needed time to execute draft revisions.

11. AGM: The December General Meeting is the Annual General Meeting at which the Officers and Executive Members of the Association are elected. The meeting starts at 6:00 pm with a pot­luck and social time. The nomination and election process will be fielded by Leonard Krog, our area MP.

12. Halloween Block Party: This event was a great success. About 100 people participatedthroughout the evening. Activites included a Fire Dancer, Street Hockey and the recording of a Happy Video segment.

Donations for SECA were accepted at the refreshment area. In view of it’s success, the possibility of continuing/expanding this event was brought forward.

13. Caroling: Willow Friday, proprietor of Iron Oxide Art Supplies on Nicol Street, has agreed to provide her outdoor patio area for our Carolers this year. Volunteer Carolers will meet at 7pm on Wednesday, December 17 at Iron Oxide to sing and provide encouragement to passers­by to sing along. Our sign: ‘Sing Here on Wednesday’ will be displayed in the week previous.

14. Jill Stannard: Jill has been invited to attend the AGM as our Guest of Honour. She will be honoured at the meeting with a “Friend of the Neighbourhood” citation in recognition of her many years of voluteerism in support of SECA. Notably her role as historian and guide of the ‘History Walking Tour’ given at the Miner’s Heritage Picnic. In addition to the citation, she will be presented with a SECA apron.

Adjourned

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »